Red Skies - Joanne Kells Told in Jesse’s and Ade’s alternating third person’s POV (with the main part of the narrative owned by Jesse), both main characters come alive nicely in the book. I found them both believable and consistent. Mainly Jesse went through an amazing process of self-discovery and growth that was fascinating to watch. Ade was a likeable, sweet man who nevertheless knew what he wanted. He was demanding enough to shake Jesse out of his emotional stupor, but confiding enough to give Jesse time and space.From the secondary cast Ade’s father stood out. He was a great dad for Ade, understanding to a fault – almost to good in a larger-than-life way, but a great supporting character. I also liked Sandra, the Ranch secretary, and Emma, Jesse’s daughter.The lovingly detailed worldbuilding created a strong feeling of place for the Lardner ranch, from the everyday farm life to the cattle drive, from the comradship among the cowboys to the landscape descriptions. Later, the outwardly details gave way to the inner workings of both Jesse and Ade, which fit the story flow since all those heavy issues they had to overcome were mostly their inner conflicts and took up a lot of space.This was an angst – and drama – heavy read. The story touched on many difficult topics, among them self-denial, death of a loved one, self – discovery, drug addiction, mental disorder, guilt, shame, suicide… hard stuff, but handled sensibly. My biggest niggle was that the characters stood in their own ways at times; the old real-men-don’t-talk trope, particularly on Jesse’s part, made me want to shake some sense into him at times. Well, he grew out of that eventually. Also, there was one coincidence that stretched my ability to suspend disbelief very, very far, although it was necessary to forward the plot.All in all, for those who are into angst and emotion and don’t mind a bit of drama, this is an engrossing, powerfully written story. I can recommend it.